Indonesia president says ready to face all possibilities after US Supreme Court rejects Trump’s global tariffs

Il presidente dell’Indonesia si dice pronto ad affrontare tutte le possibilità dopo che la Corte Suprema degli Stati Uniti ha respinto i dazi globali di Trump


A worker loads fresh oil palm fruit bunches from Melati Hanjalipan cooperative palm oil plantation in Hanjalipan village, East Kotawaringin, Central Kalimantan province, Indonesia, July 22, 2025. REUTERS/Ajeng Dinar Ulfiana (Reuters)

JAKARTA, Feb 21 (Reuters) - Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto said on Saturday that his government is ready to face all possibilities after the U.S. Supreme Court rejected President Donald Trump’s global tariffs.

Prabowo, with his ministers, was in Washington D.C. this week to attend the inaugural meeting of Trump’s Board of Peace and for a bilateral meeting with the U.S. president to sign a trade deal that cuts tariff rates on Indonesian exports to 19% from 32%.

“We are prepared for all possibilities. We respect the domestic politics of the United States, and we will monitor the developments,” Prabowo told reporters in a video statement.

Separately, Indonesia’s chief negotiator for U.S. tariffs, Airlangga Hartarto, said on Saturday the government has requested the U.S. maintain its previously agreed tariff exemptions for a number of Indonesian exports, such as palm oil, coffee and cocoa.

Minister Airlangga added Friday’s trade deal between Indonesia and the U.S. is still in force despite the recent developments, saying there will be a different treatment for countries that have signed a trade deal with Washington.

(Reporting by Stefanno Sulaiman; Editing by Sharon Singleton)

Scrivici per correzioni o suggerimenti: posta@internazionale.it

Abbonati a Internazionale per leggere l’articolo.
Gli abbonati hanno accesso a tutti gli articoli, i video e i reportage pubblicati sul sito.